Guy Bradley Anniversary Paddle
Departure Location: Flamingo Marina Ramp near Flamingo Visitor Center
Duration: 5 hours
Date & Time: July 9th at 9 AM-2 PM
Requirements: Must be highly experienced kayaker and 12 years or older. All minors must be accompanied by an adult.
- Participants must be a highly experienced kayaker. You will paddle for 7 miles with no long period breaks, you must be able to paddle the whole duration of the trip.
- Participants are allowed to use their own paddle craft. Paddle craft must be able to withstand the duration of the trip. Paddle craft must be a stable hard kayak; inflatable kayak or Stand Up Paddleboard (SUP) will not be allowed.
Join us for this special event as we paddle through history and commemorate the life of Guy Bradley and his legacy that helped promote the protection of Everglades bird species. You will paddle the route that was Bradley’s final paddle to Oyster Key as we talk about the affects of the plume trade to the Everglades.
We will begin our journey in the Flamingo Marina Ramp near the Flamingo Visitor Center where you will meet with your guides that will make sure you have everything you need for this trip. You will first paddle south to Oyster Key and then make your way back north passing by Bradley Key and the Flamingo coastline before returning to the Flamingo Marina. This trip will be around 7 miles long and last about 5 hours. Plan to remain in the kayak throughout the trip. This trip is for experience paddlers that are over the age of 12. You must be able to paddle through the entirety of the trip.
As we celebrate the 75th anniversary of Everglades National Park, this special program will be held at no cost. Park fee will not be included. We will appreciate any donations to the Florida National Parks Association. Donations to the Florida National Parks Association will help aid and support our South Florida National Park partners.
You can read more about Guy Bradley in “Death in the Everglades” sold in the Flamingo Visitor Center or online at floridanationalparksassociation.org/shop. Proceeds from this book purchase will go to support Everglades National Park.
This program will have maximum limit of 12 paddle craft spots available:
- 6 Double sit-on-top Kayaks will be available to borrow. Participants that will use our kayaks must reserve their spot for two paddlers. Single participants will not be allowed to book on their own. We will supply the paddles and life jackets.
- 6 additional paddle craft spots will be available for those that choose to bring their own. Participants can reserve for 1 or 2 paddlers per paddle craft. Paddle craft can be a hard kayak. If you choose to bring your own paddle craft, you’re responsible for bringing your own paddles and life jackets.
Please note: If you’re bringing your own paddle craft, it must be able to withstand the duration of the trip. If it is determined that your paddle craft is unfit for the trip you will not be allowed to use your paddle craft. You will also be responsible for supplying your own Coast Guard regulated supplies, including wearing a Coast Guard approve life jacket.
Make sure to bring along:
- Plenty of Water
- Bug Repellent
- Lunch and/or snack. Lunch will not be provided during this trip.
- Hat, sunglasses, reef-safe sunscreen
- We recommend wearing light weight long sleeve shirts and light weight pants.
- Footwear must be tightly secured to the foot. Flip-flops/ thong sandals or backless shoes are not allowed. We recommend wearing water shoes or strappy sandals that secure the back of the foot.