Everglades Immersion: Cypress Slog
Small group, Naturalist guided slough slog through the cypress domes near Pa-hay-okee.
Meeting Location: Ernest F. Coe Visitor Center in Homestead, FL
Duration: 2 hours
Start Time: 10:00 AM & 3:30 PM
Age Requirement: Ages 8+
- Please note entrance fee is not included in this tour.
- Proper attire is required in order to participate. You must wear long pants and closed toed tied up shoes.
- All guests must be over the age of 8 and be at least 54 in. (137.16 cm) tall to participate.
- Slog Participant Ages 8+
Explore the Everglades’ Cypress Domes
During this program, you will be guided by an Institute Naturalist through the cypress forests of the Everglades. Immerse yourself in the world of cypress domes and alligators as we study the hidden story of elevation and water flow. You’ll also search for fish, air plants, and other critters in the cypress forest. Be ready to get wet and have fun!
Rates and Time
- The cost is $40 per person (NPS Park entrance fee is not included. This is a per vehicle fee collected at the entrance gate)
- Program starts at 10 am and 3:30 pm, daily
- Program meets at flagpole outside of Ernest F. Coe Visitor center and you will follow your naturalist to slog location.
- Advance Reservations are required.
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to program start time in order to check in.
- Guided wet walk through sawgrass prairies and cypress domes with an Institute Naturalist!
- 10 people maximum
- Program starts at 10 am and 3:30 pm and meets at the flagpole outside of Ernest F. Coe Visitor Center.
- Program finishes at 12 pm and 5:30 pm.
- Learn about key Everglades resources and habitats in an immersive experience.
- Participants must be 8+ years old and be at least 54 in. (137.16 cm) tall. All minors must be accompanied by an adult.
- We require long pants and closed toed lace up shoes that can get wet. We encourage hats, sunscreen, and insect repellent. All participants must wear a mask at all times.
- Cost $40/person (Entrance fee not included)
This trip begins at Everglades National Park Ernest F. Coe Visitor Center located at 40001 State Hwy 9336, Homestead, FL 33034. Type ‘Ernest F. Coe Visitor Center’ into your GPS to be brought to this location. It is the first visitor center at the Homestead entrance and is located before the entrance gates.
Upon arrival, please check-in with your Institute Naturalist by the flagpole outside of the Ernest F. Coe Visitor Center. Please arrive 15 minutes before departure.
You will then follow your Naturalist to your tour locations. Please note that you will be driving in your own car, park entrance fee is not included. The slogging location is about a 20 minute drive after passing the entrance gate. The trip will end at your slogging location after the your tour, you can continue exploring other areas in the park on your own after your trip.
For the safety of all guest, we ask that all participants are 8 years and older and be at least 54 in. (137.16 cm) tall to participate. Slogging involves doing a wet walk in which the terrain is not as stable. Sometime the water levels can reach to 2-2.5 ft deep during this walk.
All participants MUST wear long pants and closes toed shoes to participate on this tour. For your safety, you will not be allowed to participate if you are not wearing the correct wardrobe. We do not recommend wearing rain boots or slip-on shoes for this tour as you run the risk of the shoes slipping off. The ideal foot wear would be regular lace tied, closed toed sneakers.
All minors must be accompanied by an adult.
This Everglades Institute slogging program is designed for active adults and children over 8. Slogging in the Everglades can sometimes be a difficult walk for some if the correct wardrobe isn’t worn or if they have difficulty when stepping.
This program has activities that could cause problems for pregnant women and those with recent surgeries or back injuries. To best accommodate you and make your trip safe and enjoyable, please make a note in your reservation or privately notify your naturalist:
- You are not an experienced hiker
- You have any recent surgeries
- You have any back injuries
- You have any medical conditions
- You are pregnant
- You have any other concerns regarding your safety and health
We recommend bringing the following items for this tour:
- Plenty of Water
- Bug Repellent and/or bug jacket
- Dry Bag to store your items and prevent them from getting wet
We require you to wear long pants and closed toed lace up shoes. Please be aware that you will get wet during this tour, you may want to bring a change of clothes and shoes for after the tour.
We will provide walking sticks that will assist you during your slog (wet walk).
No printing necessary. You can even complete the waivers on your phone! Adults over the age of 18 must complete and submit their own waiver. Minors ages 17 and younger must have a parent or legal guardian complete and submit a waiver on behalf of the minor. There are separate waivers for adults and minors, please be sure you are completing the appropriate waiver. All minors must be accompanied by an adult. To complete the waiver process, you will need to confirm your email address through and email that will be sent by Smartwaiver.
Slogging is an exciting and demanding activity. When performed correctly, applying correct techniques, it is relatively safe. However, there are certain medical conditions that increase risk. If you have a medical condition described on the Medical Statement or any other condition that would be contrary to safe participation in any activities, you must provide documentation that you sought the advice of a physician prior to engaging in this activity.