Paddling in the Park: Guided Canoe Trip Through Nine Mile Pond
Meeting Location: Nine Mile Pond
Duration: 3 hours
Start Times: 9:30 AM & 1:30 PM
Age Requirement: 12 years and older
- This program presents a great opportunity to safely explore the Everglades with an experienced Naturalist as you share a canoe with members of your own party.
- Paddle route may vary depending on seasonal water levels.
- Participant Age 12 and up
Explore the Everglades
Want to paddle through the natural beauty of the diverse ecosystems in the Florida Everglades? Join the Institute Naturalists for a three (3) hour paddling program.
Paddling in the Park Program
On this three hour program, you will be guided by an Institute Naturalist through the sawgrass and mangroves. Immerse yourself in the Everglades wilderness with this primitive paddle as we study tropical hammocks, sawgrass prairies, and mangrove ecology, the influence of water flow on Everglades ecosystems and how humans have impacted the environment in the Park.
Rates and Time
- The cost is $79 per person (NPS Park entrance is not included. This is a per vehicle fee collected at the Homestead Entrance)
- Program starts at 9:30 am and 1:30 pm
- Meet Institute Naturalist at Nine Mile Pond (located off Main Park Road before you enter the Flamingo District).
- Advance Reservations required.
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to program start time in order to check in.
- Guided canoe trip through the sawgrass prairies and mangroves with an Institute Naturalist!
- 8 people maximum (4 two-person canoes). You must share a two- person canoe with a member of your own party. No single bookings allowed.
- Program starts at 9:30 am and 1:30 pm and meets at Nine Mile Pond.
- Program finishes around 12:30 pm for the morning paddle and 4:30 pm for the afternoon paddle.
- Learn about the ecology, the influence of water flow on Everglades ecosystems and how humans have impacted the environment.
- Participants must be 12+ years old and minors must be accompanied by an adult. Paddling experience is highly recommended.
- Cost $79/person (Entrance fee not included)
- This program meets at Nine Mile Pond, located along Main Park Road a little over 25 miles away from the Homestead park entrance.
- Please note there are no restrooms or other facilities at this location. Restrooms are located at Ernest F Coe Visitor Center, Royal Palm, Long Pine Key and Flamingo.
- Upon arrival, please check-in with your Naturalist. Arrive 15 minutes before departure.
You will check-in with your Naturalist at Nine Mile Pond. Nine Mile Pond is located along Main Park Road a little over 25 miles away past the Everglades National Park Homestead entrance. About a 30 minute drive from the entrance. Look for signs.
We ask that you’re there 15 mins before your start time.
Your Naturalist will NOT be at the Ernest Coe Visitor Center.
For the safety of all guests, we ask that all participants are 12 years and older and are experienced paddlers. You will be paddling for most part of the program, with a few stops. You must feel comfortable in paddling the whole route.
You must also go on this trip in pairs. We will be using canoes that require two paddlers to safely maneuver the canoe.
All minors must be accompanied by an adult.
This Everglades Institute paddling program is designed for active adults and children over 12 who are good paddlers. Paddling in the Everglades can be a strenuous activity; when water levels are low paddling can require more force. You must be able to paddle the whole trip.
This program has activities that could cause problems for pregnant women, those with recent surgeries or back injuries, and can cause motion/sea sickness. To best accommodate you and make your trip safe and enjoyable, please make a note in your reservation or privately notify you naturalist:
- You are not an experienced paddler
- You have any recent surgeries
- You have any back injuries
- You have any medical conditions and allergies
- You are pregnant
- You have any other concerns regarding your safety and health
Please note: If it is determined the trip may not be suitable for you based on the days conditions a full refund will be offered.
We recommend bringing the following items for this tour:
- Plenty of Water
- Bug Repellent and/or bug jacket
- Paddling Gloves
Please make sure to wear closed toed shoes. We highly recommend wearing breathable long pants and long sleeve shirts to add a layer of protection from the sun.
You will be using metal canoes during this trip. These canoes are heavy and long, there must be two people paddling per canoe.
We will also provide paddles and a life vests.
No printing necessary. You can even complete the waivers on your phone! Adults over the age of 18 must complete and submit their own waiver. Minors ages 17 and younger must have a parent or legal guardian complete and submit a waiver on behalf of the minor. For paddling activities there are separate waivers for adults and minors, please be sure you are completing the appropriate waiver. All minors must be accompanied by an adult. To complete the waiver process, you will need to confirm your email address through and email that will be sent by Smartwaiver.
Paddling is an exciting and demanding activity. When performed correctly, applying correct techniques, it is relatively safe. However, there are certain medical conditions that increase risk. If you have a medical condition described on the Medical Statement or any other condition that would be contrary to safe participation in any in-water activities, you must provide documentation that you sought the advice of a physician prior to engaging in paddling activities.